Dr. Steven J. Shapiro, Managing Partner and Principal Expert, is Professor of Finance and Director of the Risk Management Center at New York Institute of Technology.
Previously, Dr. Shapiro was Professor of Economics and Finance, Chair of the Department of Economics and Finance and Director of the Center for Risk Management at the University of New Haven.
His previous professional experience includes New York Telephone and the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice. While employed with various consulting organizations, he provided research support to clients in the public sector and private sectors.
Dr. Shapiro received his B.A. in Economics and Mathematics from the University of Virginia and his M.A. and Ph.D. in Economics from Georgetown University.
Dr. Shapiro is experienced in providing expert testimony and litigation support. He has testified in federal courts in Connecticut, New York and Washington, D.C., state courts in Connecticut, New York and Rhode Island, and in alternative dispute resolution settings. He has also extensive experience testifying in depositions.
Dr. Shapiro's expertise includes:
- calculation of damages in personal injury, wrongful death, employment, antitrust and intellectual property matters;
- review and analysis of industries and market structure in antitrust cases;
- valuing closely held businesses and financial assets, including pensions and employee stock options;
- assessing the earnings capacity of parties in matrimonial matters;
- statistical analysis of discrimination in employment.
Dr. Shapiro is past President of the National Association of Forensic Economics (NAFE). He is an Executive Editor of the Journal of Forensic Economics, a journal published by NAFE that consists of peer reviewed academic research pertaining to the application of economics to litigation matters.
He has published articles in academic journals on damages estimation, use of statistical methods to assess the suitability of investments, valuation of employee stock options and the appraisal of closely held businesses. He is also co-author of a textbook on sport finance.
Dr. Steven J. Shapiro
- Professor of Finance, NYIT
- Director of the Risk Management Center, NYIT
- Executive Editor of Journal of Forensic Economics
- B.A. Economics & Mathematics, U.Va.
- M.A. & Ph.D. Economics, Georgetown University